Are parental rights fundamental?
Since the early 1900s, parental rights have been disputed in America’s courts. From circuit courts to the U.S. Supreme Court, your right to direct the education and care of your child has been molded and shaped by various cases and legislation all over America. Learn how the Parental Rights Foundation, led by William Estrada, is fighting for parents and what you can do to help!
“You can’t have rights if you don’t also recognize that it is a humbling responsibility. It’s difficult work, as any parent would say. But it’s incredibly rewarding work.” — William A. Estrada, Esq.
Some of the topics discussed today:
- What does “parental rights” really mean? Plus, the history of the family and why family is the bedrock of society
- The humbling responsibility of being a parent and how that responsibility creates certain rights
- The history of parental rights as a fundamental right in America starting with the U.S. Constitution and moving on to the hot legal debates in the twentieth century
- Parental rights issues and cases that made the biggest impact on America — including the Blaine amendments, which prevented state funds from supporting religious private schools, and the cases that paved the way for home education
- Specific cases where students were being forced to affirm something they did not believe, participate in explicit surveys, or being indoctrinated about gay marriage and critical race theory against their beliefs
- The purpose of Estrada’s organization, the Parental Rights Foundation, and their recent wins in legislature
- The misunderstood power of local and state officials and some of the recent triumphs in Virginia where ordinary citizens stepped up to change educational policy
- What you can do to change education in your community
If you like what you’re hearing, stay tuned for our next episode on The State of Education with Melvin Adams.
If you’d rather watch the video version of our podcast episodes, subscribe to our YouTube channel to get notified every Wednesday when new episodes launch. Here is today’s conversation with Will Estrada:
RESOURCES MENTIONED ON TODAY’S EPISODE:
- Visit the Parental Rights Foundation for resources and information that will help protect your child’s future
- Visit the Parental Rights Foundations’ lobbying branch at https://parentalrights.org/
- Mom’s for Liberty is a force for good that has come alongside ordinary people to help nurture and protect American families
[…] Learn more about what drives parental rights legislation. […]